Thursday, January 17, 2013

I wish I were Brave

They tell me I’m brave.
They tell me I am brave.

I go to a land of apartheid
I work in a land of genocide
I see men lose their children
I see them cry.
I see them looking at the land in which they are denied
The land their fathers worked
The land where their mothers birthed
them.

I see a travesty.
A travesty my own country helped create.
They give them the money, money to sustain their gates.
To sustain a wall that fuels each side's hate.

But they tell me I’m brave.
They tell me I am brave.

I read about the fire, I read about the bombs
I don’t see them I cannot feel them. My city is always calm.
Does it feel like our country is at war?
You know those battles our men and women have been fighting for over 3 score.

We are not dealing with equal sides.
There is the occupier and the occupied.
Where every act of progression is denied
Yet somehow, these people they thrive.

But they tell me I’m brave
They tell me I am brave.

But me? I can walk away.
Because honestly it does not directly affect my day.
I can pretend this doesn’t exist.
That even if this violence persists.
Nothing here will change.
The only thing that has changed
Is the distance of missile range.
In this so-called Holy land.

Let me be the first to say there is nothing holy about killing an innocent man.
That collateral damage is a little too much in demand.
What people will do to get the so-called upper hand
Erroneous it is that these murderers will never see the witness stand
In their defense of national security for the holy land.

Am I’m left here wondering who is it that needs to be saved?

I wish I were brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment