Sunday, July 21, 2013

I am a Bird

Before I could fly I never would have thought I would dream for clipped wings
That I would desire the songs that the caged bird sings.  

Before I could fly, all I did was dream
I sat and imagined such wondrous things

I dreamt of the unknown, the adventure, the thrill
That I would change the world, as if there were a prophecy I was meant to fulfill

When I started to fly, I quickly wanted to soar
To leave my home behind, to travel more and more

But the farther I got the more I needed to rest
I longed for those days I spent dreaming in the nest

Birds are born to fly south, away from their home
But do birds ever return to where they were born?

I miss the calm, the ease of the days.
Where hours would pass softly in summer’s haze.

The world is so big, convoluted, complex
I’ve seen so much hate, and hurt with such harmful effects

The simplicity is gone
The love and compassion is few

Support systems are compromised
People’s self-interest has become toxic skewing my worldview

Peaceful birds are shot and killed
And their freedoms are torn from them against their will

It’s dangerous to be a bird
To sing the songs that have been left unheard

That now when I reflect I don’t know what I prefer

Because now I dream for those clipped wings

That my days would be filled only with my wondrous dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment